Explore the fascinating world of the Victorian judges at this award-winning historic house.
To clean gilt buckles, chains &c.
Dip a soft brush in water, rub a little soap on it, and brush the article for a minute or two, then wash it clean, wipe it, and place it near the fire till dry, then brush it with burnt bread finely powdered. 1823
As with all our historical handy hints, this is a real tip from a Victorian book. We cannot say that it'll work and it's up to you if you want to try!
If you liked that fact, why not check out these:
- There's nothing like a nice private shower!
- To stink or not to stink
- How did Victorians try out a new invention?
- Stage strangeness
- Lazy Keufs
- The last ducking stool to be used in England
- Would you wee in your dining room?
- Victorian ladies' knickers had no middle
- Now that's what we call a cake!
- What did Victoria do first