Explore the fascinating world of the Victorian judges at this award-winning historic house.
Sporting Life in Presteigne exhibition opens
Press Release 01/07/12
The Motorcycle Champ and the Victorian Judge – this summer's oddest couple?!
The Judge's Lodging museum in Presteigne is well known for its fascinating look at the life of Victorian judges and their felonious guests throughout its stunning gaslit period rooms. But this summer, visitors will be treated to something completely different and completely free! 1st July sees the opening of the first temporary exhibition for the building, with the title of Sporting Life in Presteigne. The exhibition will celebrate sporting activity in Radnorshire's former county town, from the history of the local sporting clubs, to the incredible achievements of some of the town's greatest contenders.
And Presteigne really does have much to celebrate on the sporting front, from a Victorian bare-knuckle boxer who kept the prisoners at the gaol at bay and a footballing war hero, to a bowling club that has produced Robert Weale, Commonwealth gold winner and International bowls champion.
There will be a special focus on reigning World Supersport Champion and BBC Wales' Sports Personality of the Year, 2011, motorcycle rider Chaz Davies. At just 25, local lad Chaz's incredible achievements will be celebrated with specially commissioned artwork, displays of his leathers and personal memorabilia, photos and publicity galore. There is an exclusive interview, with questions chosen by the pupils of John Beddoes School, Presteigne, Chaz's former school. Visitors can hear him talking about much more than his racing career, as he ponders his school days, life in the town and what he misses when he travels the world, amongst other things. On display will also be the World Supersport Trophy itself, so if you are a motorbike fan, this exhibition is an absolute must! There are books, games, children's activities - plenty to entertain everyone.
Sporting Life in Presteigne will run from 1st July to 23rd September 2012. Open Tues-Sun,10am-5pm. Admission to the exhibition is free.
For further information, or call 01544 260650. SEE OUR FULL FLYER FOR THE EXHIBITION HERE
For more information about Chaz Davies:
- Opening our doors with HLF this year!
- New Board seeks to raise the bar!
- Humbling Hudson's Heritage Awards second
- Student Conservator of the Year award!
- Ethiopian Emperor's shield causing excitement
- The Judge's Lodging brings Napoleon to Powys!
- The Judge's Lodging versus Downton Abbey!
- Ironmongers Extraordinaire!
- Sporting Life in Presteigne exhibition opens
- Racing into Spring!
- Christmas good wishes and a huge thank you
- National award headed our way!
- Why is it so important that we smell?
- Chilling nights with Poe
- ...and on TV again!
- On your telly again!
- 29th April - A Celebration Indeed!
- Installation of the High Sheriff of Powys
- The elephant that never made it?
- Loyd Grossman and the tiny posh sandwiches
- Christmas good wishes and a big thank you
- A soggy repeat of history
- See us on TV this Autumn & Winter
- Very pleased with our new award
- Remembering a fine cat
- Pigs' ears, parrots and flaming nighties
- Arthur, the museum cat