Explore the fascinating world of the Victorian judges at this award-winning historic house.
Remembering a fine cat
The garden at the Judge's Lodging museum in Presteigne has seen the arrival of a new, elegant feature this week - the gravestone of Arthur, the museum cat, who sadly passed away earlier this year.
When he died, the museum staff wanted to remember him in some way and the people of Presteigne rallied to the cause, wanting to show their respect for this 'old timer' with feline attitude. Collection pots were set up in shops and pubs throughout the town and money was raised to ensure Arthur was remembered in a fitting way - a Victorian-style pet's gravestone.
The stone has been made by the Llangunllo stonemason, Jonathan Protheroe and staff at the museum have replanted the area of the garden and put pots of catmint around the stone. The stone itself bares his name, the year and small cross.
Curator Gabrielle Rivers says 'Arthur is still hugely missed. We would like to thank everyone who made a fuss over him through his years here and especially to those who helped us get such a lovely lasting memorial for him'.
- Opening our doors with HLF this year!
- New Board seeks to raise the bar!
- Humbling Hudson's Heritage Awards second
- Student Conservator of the Year award!
- Ethiopian Emperor's shield causing excitement
- The Judge's Lodging brings Napoleon to Powys!
- The Judge's Lodging versus Downton Abbey!
- Ironmongers Extraordinaire!
- Sporting Life in Presteigne exhibition opens
- Racing into Spring!
- Christmas good wishes and a huge thank you
- National award headed our way!
- Why is it so important that we smell?
- Chilling nights with Poe
- ...and on TV again!
- On your telly again!
- 29th April - A Celebration Indeed!
- Installation of the High Sheriff of Powys
- The elephant that never made it?
- Loyd Grossman and the tiny posh sandwiches
- Christmas good wishes and a big thank you
- A soggy repeat of history
- See us on TV this Autumn & Winter
- Very pleased with our new award
- Remembering a fine cat
- Pigs' ears, parrots and flaming nighties
- Arthur, the museum cat