Explore the fascinating world of the Victorian judges at this award-winning historic house.
Pigs' ears, parrots and flaming nighties
The Judge's Lodging is well know for attempting some peculiar Victorian recreations, but residents of Presteigne could not resist asking us what the awful smell was just before we opened for the season on 1st March. The answer was not one they expected and perhaps they wished that they had not said anything - a boiled sheep's head and roasted pigs' ears.
We were playing host to a film crew and the filming in question has ranged from the gross to hilarious, with a good helping of the really fascinating thrown in. There's been a parrot learning to talk, tests on fire-retardant nightdresses in the garden, leeches in jars, elaborate cooking experiments (hence the smell!), make-up tips, the Victorian way and much more.
Independent TV company Cwmni Da are working on a forthcoming history series for S4C Wales. Established in 1997 Cwmni Da is one of Wales' largest and well established independent production companies. The company's national and international output includes factual, children's, comedy, events, drama and sports. The company's productions have won critical acclaim both nationally and on the international stage.
The new series called "Byw yn ol y Llyfr" ("Living by the Book"), is based on a Welsh language Victorian self-help manual - Llyfr Pawb ar Bob Peth ("Everyone's Book on Everything") published around 1870. The series will see author Bethan Gwanas and comedian Tudur Owen don period clothing as they follow the book's advice on all manner of things, ranging from DIY to social etiquette, learning about the values of Victorian society in the process. Large parts of the series have been filmed with us, with the crew just about to arrive back for the last session before they can put the series together. "Byw yn ol y Llyfr" ("Living by the Book") is due to be shown on S4C in the Autumn.
Incidentally, the cooking got even worse, with roasted cow's udder, but the bread and butter pudding they made was much appreciated by the staff!
For more information on the museum or the filming, please do not hesitate to contact us
25th May - news update: Cwmni Da just left the building after the final lot of filming for the series with us. This time they cooked eel - it smelt ok! To all the cast & crew, thank you for entertaining us over the last few months - it's been fun.
- Opening our doors with HLF this year!
- New Board seeks to raise the bar!
- Humbling Hudson's Heritage Awards second
- Student Conservator of the Year award!
- Ethiopian Emperor's shield causing excitement
- The Judge's Lodging brings Napoleon to Powys!
- The Judge's Lodging versus Downton Abbey!
- Ironmongers Extraordinaire!
- Sporting Life in Presteigne exhibition opens
- Racing into Spring!
- Christmas good wishes and a huge thank you
- National award headed our way!
- Why is it so important that we smell?
- Chilling nights with Poe
- ...and on TV again!
- On your telly again!
- 29th April - A Celebration Indeed!
- Installation of the High Sheriff of Powys
- The elephant that never made it?
- Loyd Grossman and the tiny posh sandwiches
- Christmas good wishes and a big thank you
- A soggy repeat of history
- See us on TV this Autumn & Winter
- Very pleased with our new award
- Remembering a fine cat
- Pigs' ears, parrots and flaming nighties
- Arthur, the museum cat