Explore the fascinating world of the Victorian judges at this award-winning historic house.
National award headed our way!
We’ve done it again! We’ve just received notice that a major new heritage award scheme, Hudson's Heritage Awards, has given us the Highly Commended second place in their choice of the best heritage site in Britain for Education, Family and Community work. Scoring highly in all three aspects of this category, The Judge's Lodging was only exceeded, in the judges' estimation, by Burghley House, Lincolnshire, the largest and grandest Elizabethan house in the UK. We do not feel in the slightest hard done by this! What an achievement for a museum from a tiny Welsh town to go up against the grandest historic houses in Britain and come out so well! We were the only historic property in Wales to achieve one of the top positions in any of the categories.
The awards were presented on 1st December at the Marriot Grovesnor Square, London, by celebrity hosts Lloyd Grossman and Lucinda Lambton. Unfortunately, the Judge's Lodging staff were not there to receive their award in person at this prestigious event - they were too busy doing what the award was for - working with a school! 'We knew that we had been shortlisted,' says Curator Gaby Rivers, 'and the award organisers were so taken aback when we said we could not go to the ceremony, but understood that we had to spend the day doing what we do! It would have been funny to have met Loyd Grossman - he gave us another award in February this year for our education work!'
This award is not just for the museum's education and family services. It also acknowledges the fantastic new Presteigne Community Collections project started this year, where a group of local volunteers have joined staff in working with the town's collection of objects. In 2012 there will be new exhibition rooms on the town and a temporary gallery for a changing programme of exhibitions and events on topics of community interest. This community work is being supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund and Welsh Government. Working more with local people is an exciting new challenge for us and we are loving every minute of it!
Photo from The Brecon & Radnor Express by Roger Bright
- Bill Bryson loves our kitchen!
- Local children want to share their town!
- Lawrence of Arabia charity shows support
- Legendary food!
- Ironmongers Extraordinaire!
- Sporting Life in Presteigne exhibition opens
- Racing into Spring!
- Christmas good wishes and a huge thank you
- National award headed our way!
- Why is it so important that we smell?
- The Judge's Lodging versus Downton Abbey!
- Chilling nights with Poe
- ...and on TV again!
- On your telly again!
- 29th April - A Celebration Indeed!
- Installation of the High Sheriff of Powys
- The elephant that never made it?
- Loyd Grossman and the tiny posh sandwiches
- Christmas good wishes and a big thank you
- A soggy repeat of history
- See us on TV this Autumn & Winter
- Very pleased with our new award
- Remembering a fine cat
- Pigs' ears, parrots and flaming nighties
- Arthur, the museum cat