Explore the fascinating world of the Victorian judges at this award-winning historic house.
Christmas good wishes and a huge thank you
Well, we’ve taken our tree down, after a fun five week run of Victorian Christmas with school children - phew!
We just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who supports us here at the museum. Thank you to all the wonderful accommodation providers throughout Powys, Herefordshire, Shropshire and beyond who send people our way, or come in to see us themselves; thank you to all the hard-working (and increasingly rare) Tourist Information Centre staff; thank you to all the other attractions in the area and to all you lovely people who pop in, bring your friends or help spread the word about us. We are so terribly grateful - we would not be here without you.
We hope you have all had a good year, despite the economic difficulties. It certainly is a challenge for us all isn't it?! Despite this, 2011 has been a fantastic year for The Judge’s Lodging in what has been going on. Three recent happenings here that we have not had a chance to tell everyone are:
We’ve just got another award! The inaugural National Hudson’s Heritage Awards has rated us one of top two best historic buildings in the country for education, family and community work! More here
The January 2012 edition of fashionable architectural and design publication The World of Interiors has a wonderful 12-page article on us, with absolutely stunning photograph by Alex Ramsay. More here
…and if you missed the story in the Daily Mail recently, we discovered we have a bit of Downton Abbey link! More here
2012 is already shaping up to be an exciting year, with the opening in the Spring of our new Presteigne interactive exhibition, chill-out space and activities. This will be followed hotly by a new temporary exihibion area, launching with a sporting theme for the Olympics, followed by an Autumn closer look at Presteigne people through the objects that they leave. Also running in the Summer will be our own tribute to the genius of Charles Dickens – we thinkthat by now there can't be many people left who have not been made aware that it is his 200th birthday coming up and we want to celebrate by using our collections to highllight the themes of his greatest works. There will be events and activities around all of these things and we promise we’ll keep you posted.
Other highlights from our year, if you want to catch up have been:
Getting the Sandford Awards for Heritage Education for the second time and going down to the Houses of Parliament to receive it in February. More here
The incredible sight of 100 Welsh Guards arriving at the building for the Freedom of Powys Ceremony in May.
The Installation of the High Sherriff of Powys –always a fabulous event and we get to have Judges here again too!
Chilling Edgar Allan Poe nights - so scary that some people fainted!
Rather an eventful year!
Gaby Rivers, Curator
- Opening our doors with HLF this year!
- New Board seeks to raise the bar!
- Humbling Hudson's Heritage Awards second
- Student Conservator of the Year award!
- Ethiopian Emperor's shield causing excitement
- The Judge's Lodging brings Napoleon to Powys!
- The Judge's Lodging versus Downton Abbey!
- Ironmongers Extraordinaire!
- Sporting Life in Presteigne exhibition opens
- Racing into Spring!
- Christmas good wishes and a huge thank you
- National award headed our way!
- Why is it so important that we smell?
- Chilling nights with Poe
- ...and on TV again!
- On your telly again!
- 29th April - A Celebration Indeed!
- Installation of the High Sheriff of Powys
- The elephant that never made it?
- Loyd Grossman and the tiny posh sandwiches
- Christmas good wishes and a big thank you
- A soggy repeat of history
- See us on TV this Autumn & Winter
- Very pleased with our new award
- Remembering a fine cat
- Pigs' ears, parrots and flaming nighties
- Arthur, the museum cat