Explore the fascinating world of the Victorian judges at this award-winning historic house.
Christmas good wishes and a big thank you
We just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who supports us here at the museum. Thank you to all the wonderful accommodation providers throughout Powys, Herefordshire, Shropshire and beyond who send people our way, or come in to see us themselves; thank you to all the hard-working (and increasingly rare) Tourist Information Centre staff; thank you to all the other attractions in the area and to all you lovely people who pop in, bring your friends or help spread the word about us. We are so terribly grateful - we would not be here without you.
We hope you have all had a good year, despite the economic difficulties. It certainly is a challenge for us all isn't it?! We were saddened at the beginning of the year by the loss of our well-loved museum cat, but thanks to generous local people and visitors, we were able to have a most fitting Victorian style headstone made for him. It's been up and down here since, as I'm sure it has for all of you, but we've had some definite highlights in the filming and a huge Victorian buffet that we staged in the summer.
We are looking forward to a new set of challenges in 2011, as we prepare ourselves (all funding applications willing) to transform two exhibition rooms into an exciting new area about Presteigne, a chill-out space, new kids activities and a temporary exhibition gallery, where we will start preparing a very varied programme of exhibitions and events.
We wish great things for you in 2011.
Have a wonderful Christmas.
With our warmet regards
Gaby, Curator and all the staff
P.S. If you've started to feel like you just can't stand Christmas any longer, we'd like you to spare a thought for us having to put our Christmas tree up and decorate the museum in October! Why? Well, the filming took place for the seasonal special of the S4C series on Victorian living that has been going on here throughout the year. Click here if you want to read a bit more about it.
- Opening our doors with HLF this year!
- New Board seeks to raise the bar!
- Humbling Hudson's Heritage Awards second
- Student Conservator of the Year award!
- Ethiopian Emperor's shield causing excitement
- The Judge's Lodging brings Napoleon to Powys!
- The Judge's Lodging versus Downton Abbey!
- Ironmongers Extraordinaire!
- Sporting Life in Presteigne exhibition opens
- Racing into Spring!
- Christmas good wishes and a huge thank you
- National award headed our way!
- Why is it so important that we smell?
- Chilling nights with Poe
- ...and on TV again!
- On your telly again!
- 29th April - A Celebration Indeed!
- Installation of the High Sheriff of Powys
- The elephant that never made it?
- Loyd Grossman and the tiny posh sandwiches
- Christmas good wishes and a big thank you
- A soggy repeat of history
- See us on TV this Autumn & Winter
- Very pleased with our new award
- Remembering a fine cat
- Pigs' ears, parrots and flaming nighties
- Arthur, the museum cat