Explore the fascinating world of the Victorian judges at this award-winning historic house.
Chilling nights with Poe
Our recent Halloween theatrical extravaganza nights, featuring the Tin Shed Theatre Company presenting The Terrifying Tales of Edgar Allan Poe, proved to be an outstanding experience. As creepy maids escorted participants around the house and court, five of Poe's greatest tales were played out. The audience was literally in the thick of the action, as they witnessed The Mask of the Red Death, The Raven, The Pit and the Pendulum, The Tell-Tale Heart and The Cask of Amontillado - all played out in the gloomy gas and oil lighting of our period rooms. You can see some of the photos we took on our Facebook page here but here are some of the comments left by those who came, saw and got thoroughly chilled:
'It was an amazing psychological disturbing performance I will not forget. It shook me to the bone! The house went extremely well with the tales.'
'Such an original idea and wonderful use of the house'
'Best piece of theatre I've seen in a long time. Thanks for a fab evening'
'Exceptional acting in an amazing athmosphere'
'Fantastic - when alone in the house at night and awake, it will come back to haunt me. Thank you.'
'We weren't familiar with Powe's work before - will definitely look at it - you will let the chappie out of the wine cellar, won't you?!'
'Athmospheric, evocative, the spirit of Edgar Allan Poe captured perfectly. You have rekindled my interest in a youthful literary hero'
'How fortunate we are to have the opportunity to experince this event on our doorstep. We were completely absorbed. More please'
'Combination of excellent acting and amazing building / lighting=magical'
'So good I passed out!' (this person really did!)
- Opening our doors with HLF this year!
- New Board seeks to raise the bar!
- Humbling Hudson's Heritage Awards second
- Student Conservator of the Year award!
- Ethiopian Emperor's shield causing excitement
- The Judge's Lodging brings Napoleon to Powys!
- The Judge's Lodging versus Downton Abbey!
- Ironmongers Extraordinaire!
- Sporting Life in Presteigne exhibition opens
- Racing into Spring!
- Christmas good wishes and a huge thank you
- National award headed our way!
- Why is it so important that we smell?
- Chilling nights with Poe
- ...and on TV again!
- On your telly again!
- 29th April - A Celebration Indeed!
- Installation of the High Sheriff of Powys
- The elephant that never made it?
- Loyd Grossman and the tiny posh sandwiches
- Christmas good wishes and a big thank you
- A soggy repeat of history
- See us on TV this Autumn & Winter
- Very pleased with our new award
- Remembering a fine cat
- Pigs' ears, parrots and flaming nighties
- Arthur, the museum cat